Sassy Summer Salad!
Updated: Aug 27, 2018
Nothing beats homemade chicken salad on a hot summer day! I created this recipe for a healthier version of chicken salad. It's so easy, and I've made it so often, that I now have the ingredients memorized -- which is helpful since I'm often asked for the recipe!
The ingredients can be easily adapted as this recipe is very forgiving. So try this version, or substitute your favorite ingredients for an enticing twist.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 4-5 thighs)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup pecan pieces + extra for garnish (or walnuts)
1/2 Gala or Green apple, chopped (or handful of dried cranberries)
2 stalks celery, chopped
5 oz. container Greek pineapple yogurt (or flavor of choice)
1/2 cup mayo (empty yogurt cup full)
1. Cook chicken and broth in crockpot. (Frozen 4 hours on high; fresh 3-4 hours on low.) Or simmer on stove until cooked through.
2. Remove chicken and set out to cool on cutting board. (Reserve broth for another use.)
3. Slice chicken and shred using 2 forks.
4. Place shredded chicken into a large bowl.
5. Stir pecans, apple and celery into shredded chicken.
6. Add yogurt and mayo.
7. Lightly sprinkle in seasonings.
8. Stir to combine thoroughly.
9. Taste test for seasonings and adjust if needed.
10. Serve over mixed greens and garnish with pecans or dried cranberries.
Makes 6 cups of chicken salad.
For a delicious sandwich, spread this on your favorite bread. I love it on toasted cinnamon bread with a little extra mayo, lettuce and tomato. Yum Yum!